Zoning Application Guidelines
Submittal Process for Zoning Applications
All applications are reviewed by the Zoning Administration Staff, the Greene County Planning and Zoning Board, and the Board of Commissioners. The following steps outline the application process:
- Complete the applicable application (including having each page notarized as appropriate) and submit it to the Greene County Building and Zoning office. To prevent potential delays, contact the Building and Zoning Office to verify the correct application needed for your purpose.
- Submit your completed application AND non-refundable filing fee of $550.00 to the Greene County Building & Zoning office. All checks should be payable to the Greene County Board of Commissioners. Applications must be submitted in person.
- Complete applications, including payments, must be received a minimum of 30 days prior to the first public hearing. Refer to Zoning Application Deadlines for filing deadlines and public hearing dates. (Only applies to Rezoning Applications)
- Not less than fifteen (15) days prior to the public hearing held by the Greene County Planning & Zoning board, a sign will be posted on the property identified by the application advertising a public hearing being held for the purpose of re-zoning. (Only applies to Rezoning Applications)
- Not less than fifteen (15) days prior to the public hearing held by the Greene County Planning & Zoning board, a legal ad, advertising the request for re-zoning, will be published in the local newspaper. The legal notice normally appears in the Thursday edition of the Herald Journal newspaper. (Does not apply to Preliminary and Final Plats)
- Not less than seven (7) days prior to the public hearing held by the Greene County Planning & Zoning board, an agenda containing your request for re-zoning (if received by the posted deadline for the up-and-coming meeting) will be posted for public view. (Applies to all Applications.)
- You will be notified by the Building & Zoning office regarding the scheduled date(s) of the public hearing. The Planning and Zoning Board generally meets on the last Tuesday of each month. Refer to Zoning Application Deadlines) Meetings are held at 4 pm at the Board of Commissioners Board Room located at 1034 Silver Dr., Greensboro, GA 30642. YOUR ATTENDANCE IS REQUIRED AT THIS MEETING. (Applies to all Applications.)
- The Planning Commission reviews the facts in the case at its scheduled meeting. You will be given an opportunity to speak on your request at this time. Based on information provided and compliance with the Greene County Code of Ordinances, the Planning and Zoning board will make a recommendation of approval or denial to the Greene County Board of Commissioners. (Applies to all Applications.)
- Not less than seven (7) days prior to the Board of Commissioners meeting an agenda containing your request will be posted for public view. The Board of Commissioners will vote on your item. The Board of Commissioners generally meets on the second Tuesday of each month to consider applications. This meeting is held at 5 pm at the Board of Commissioners Board Room located at 1034 Silver Dr., Greensboro, GA 30642. (Applies to all Applications.)
Withdrawal of Zoning Applications
Written notification of withdrawal is required.
- BEFORE LEGAL ADVERTISING OF A PUBLIC HEARING IS PLACED IN THE NEWSPAPER
The applicant may withdraw the application without prejudice.
- If an application is withdrawn before placement of the legal advertisement, a refund of the application fee will be issued.
- AFTER LEGAL ADVERTISING OF A PUBLIC HEARING IS PLACED IN THE NEWSPAPER
No application may be withdrawn by the applicant under any circumstance. All applications advertised shall receive final action by the Board of Commissioners.
No application, or reapplication, affecting the same land shall be acted upon with 12 months from the date of last action by the Board of Commissioners unless waived by the Board of Commissioners. A request to consider such a waiver is submitted to the Zoning Administration Division. In no case, shall an application or reapplication be acted upon in less than 6 months from the date of last action by the Board of Commissioners.
All applicants, their attorneys, or representatives, must submit information as required by the Official Code of Georgia Section 36-67A-1, et. Seq, Conflict of Interest in Zoning Actions.