Licenses in Greene County
To operate a business in Greene County, you may need to obtain one or more licenses.
- Occupational Tax Certificate aka Business License - This is the most common type of license required to operate a business in Greene County. All businesses and practitioners of professions and occupations which have one or more locations or offices within the unincorporated part of the county, except for those specifically excluded in Section 12-1 of the Greene County Code of Ordinances are required to obtain an Occupational Tax Certificate.
- A fee of $75.00 shall be paid by all businesses and practitioners of professions or occupations with at least one but not more than nine employees.
- A fee of $100.00 shall be paid by all businesses and practitioners of professions or occupations which have ten or more employees.
- Short Term Rental License - In order to operate as a Short-Term Rental (any rental less than 31 days) in Greene County, the residence must be in a Short-Term Rental Overlay District, unless qualified under Section 188.8.131.52 of the Greene County Ordinances, and have a current Greene County Short-Term Rental Business License.
- Alcohol License - Alcoholic beverages may be sold in the county only after the issuance of a license for such sale by the county and only in the manner permitted by said license. Alcoholic beverages may be sold in the county only by a licensee who complies with the rules and regulations of the Greene County Code of Ordinances, and with the licensing, regulatory and revenue requirements of the state.
Renewal of Licenses
All licenses expire on December 31 of each year and must be renewed before that date or they will be subject to interest and penalties. If a business has closed, it is the responsibility of the business owner to notify the county to prevent accrual of additional charges.